New York and Long Island Auto Accidents Lawyers
Auto accidents in New York continue to occur on a daily basis, often resulting in extensive property damage and serious bodily injuries. Under New York personal injury law, auto accident victims can seek damages for their pain and suffering, medical bills, psychological distress, lost wages, and financial hardship. However, in order to recover damages, you and your attorney must prove that the accident was a direct result of another driver’s negligent actions. Common forms of driver negligence include:
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Driving while intoxicated (DWI)
- Failure to follow traffic laws, signs, and signals
- Falling asleep while driving
- Reckless driving
- Running a red light
- Rolling through a stop sign
In addition, you can also file a personal injury lawsuit against the municipal or city government for failing to fix, renovate, or repair potentially dangerous conditions, such as:
- Unpaved roads
- Broken or malfunctioning traffic lights
- Unmarked road hazards
- Obstructed traffic lights or traffic signs
- Roads covered in snow, ice, or other hazards
Furthermore, if you can prove that your accident occurred as a result of a mechanical or design defect with your car, you are also entitled to file a claim against the automobile manufacturer as well.
What Should I do if I’m in an Auto Accident?
At Loscalzo & Loscalzo, we recommend that our clients take the following legal action to optimize their chances of success:
- Only discuss the accident with us. Refer all persons who seek information about the accident to us.
- Send all correspondence, and or medical/hospital bills to our office, NOT to an insurance company. Keep a copy of all of these records.
- If possible, write down the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the other parties involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses who saw the accident take place.
- If you can, list the details of the accident or injury, including the date, time, location, and weather conditions.
- If you have a camera, taking photographs of the accident scene can be extremely helpful in providing proof and documentation to use in your favor.
- Call us promptly if you have any questions or are unsure of what to do.
- Do not attend any meetings or hearings until you have spoken with us.
- If you move or relocate, please notify us of your new address and phone number immediately
- Most importantly, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING AND DO NOT SAY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN WITH US!
Important Note about New York Auto Accidents: New York State law requires the operator of any vehicle involved in an auto accident that causes injury or damage to stop and give his or her name, address, and show his or her driver's license to the person who is injured or whose property is damaged. If someone is hurt or killed, or if damage exceeds $1,000, the driver must file a written report with the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles within ten days.
Contact New York and Long Island Auto Accident Attorneys
At Loscalzo & Loscalzo, P.C. our New York auto accident lawyers have over 35 years of experience representing auto accident victims throughout New York City and Long Island. We have litigated thousands of auto accident cases, and understand what it takes to be successful in the courtroom. In addition, we devote 100% of our energy, time, and resources into building strong and compelling cases, and always negotiate for a fair and just settlement.
If you have been injured in an auto accident in New York City or Long Island, it’s important to seek competent, reliable, and experienced legal representation. To schedule a free consultation with a seasoned New York auto accident attorney, please contact Loscalzo & Loscalzo at (212) 505-9080 or (800) 505-9080 (toll free).